Colin Stone is an internationally accredited Professional Relaxation Therapist and a composer of therapeutic relaxation music. He trained in the renowned methods of Edmund Jacobson’s scientific relaxation, and received his diploma with distinction in Relaxation Therapy from BSY, the largest complementary health college in Britain. He is a member of the Associated Stress Consultants (UK) and is a practitioner member of the American Holistic Health Association. He plays Native American Flute and keyboards.
Born in Los Angeles, California, Colin studied broadcasting at Los Angeles City College. After college, he spent several months living in Japan, where he discovered the powerfully relaxing music of artists Kitaro, Osamu Kitajima, and other groundbreaking musicians who continue to influence Colin’s music.
Upon returning to Los Angeles, Colin joined radio station KTWV (“94.7 The Wave”), one of the first stations to play progressive instrumental “new age” music in its lineup. He later worked with San Francisco-based The Sharper Image, managing health and fitness product lines including shiatsu massage chairs, white-noise sleep machines and a device called the “Inner Quest” that stimulated the brain's relaxation response by using light and sound. It was the Inner Quest that first gave Colin the idea of a relaxation centre back in 1990.
Colin’s lifelong interest in relaxation eventually led him to pursue formal studies in the science of stress and how to activate the body’s stress-fighting biochemistry naturally, without drugs, by stimulating the parasympathetic nervous system.
His love of calming music, relaxation technology, and the Japanese style, along with his knowledge of natural stress reduction have all come together into his relaxation centre in Halifax. It's a unique private environment where his clients can experience deep relaxation that naturally eliminates tension from the mind and body.
Memberships, Awards and Certifications
- ABC Awards (UK): Level 3 Professional Relaxation Therapist
- BSY Association, Alumnus, Member
- Associated Stress Consultants (UK), Member
- American Holistic Health Association, Practitioner Member
- Lifesaving Society of Nova Scotia, Member, First-Aid/CPR Certified
- Public Health Agency of Canada, Certificate in Public Health
- Mental Health Commission of Canada, MHFA Certified
Recent Continuing Education, Professional Development and Seminars
- Diploma in Sound Therapy, Acupressure Research and Training Institute, Jodhpur, India
- Stick with It: The Science of Lasting Behavior Change, UCLA (Sean Young, PhD)
- Insomnia, Massachusetts General Hospital Psychiatry Academy (Matt T Bianchi, MD PhD)
- Turning Fear into Power: Understanding and managing anxiety, Harvard Medical School (Longwood Seminar)
- The Neuroscience of Reframing, BrainSmart (Anette Prehn)
- Global Stress Summit 2017, American Institute of Stress (Heidi Hanna, PhD)
- The Hidden Causes of Anger, Human Givens College (Renée Van Der Vloodt)
- Stress and Mental Health: Why prolonged stress can lead to mental illness, Human Givens College (Ivan Tyrrell)
- Neuroscience of Behavior Change, UCLA (Robert M. Bilder, PhD)
- Certified Therapeutic Imagery Facilitator, HMI College (Cheryl O'Neil)
- Guided Imagery, Human Givens College (Ivan Tyrrell and Joe Griffin)
- Limbic System Biology, Stanford University (Robert Sapolsky)
- The Effects of Cannabis on Mental Health, Human Givens College (Ezra Hewing)